Skip to main content

This week mostly I have been shredding


This week mostly I have been shredding: sacks and sacks of paperwork and other memorabilia going back years and all of it my own!

If you have been following events so far you will know that I was an administrator/ translator of other people’s paperwork for years, which, even if I say so myself, was always carefully kept and catalogued and returned or weeded out as and when required – my own documents – not so much.

On the basis that I would get around to it at “some point”, my personal filing system consisted of shoving everything into huge plastic boxes (the giant kind that are intended for bedding) and never throwing anything away of course- this is Spain after all!

Well now I have the time and “some point” has arrived and what a voyage of discovery it has turned out to be.

Box one was the most recent, old tax returns, vida laborals, old passports – wow did I really travel around with THAT photo for ten years?

By box two we are further down the strata of the archaeological dig of my life: a poem I wrote in 1997 for an animal charity fundraiser, birthday and Christmas cards, newspaper cuttings of the boys as teenagers playing football, a couple of tiny pension plans I had forgotten all about and wage slips from over 30 years ago.

Then comes box three and we have reached the mother load: More poetry (it must have been a phase) birth, marriage and divorce certificates (I could have saved myself a fortune applying for duplicates if only “some point” had come sooner), a bible my parents gave me as a child, my father’s war medals and many, many photographs going back for years; all of course pre digital.

Box three had the least thrown away from it – obviously I had already selected the contents as “keepers” when I made the move to Tenerife in the early nineties. But it was box three that took the longest to sift through- stopping to re-read or study every item.

It was while exclaiming for the umpteenth time “ohhh, do you remember….” that it occurred to me that todays Millennials are unlikely to know the pleasure of finding, as a sixty-six-year-old woman , a hand written letter from her seven-year-old self to her parents, written whilst in hospital having her tonsils out.

My grandchildren have had their lives photographed from birth, but it’s all out there in the ether, a series of electronic ones and zeros, well actually probably not even that nowadays with the rise of organic mediums such as DNA as alternatives to silicon.

Deoxyribonucleaic acid, DNA, can store vast amounts of information encoded as sequences of it’s molecules, known as nucleotides, the “programming” is really biochemistry.

DNA computation has enormous future potential, we’re not there yet, but one day will we see advertisements to convert silicon data to organic data, so that a lifetime’s photographs and stories are not lost?.

Those of us of the generation that had the dilemma of choosing between Betamax and VHS can appreciate that getting stuck on the wrong side of technological advancements can be a pain. Betamax became obsolete, having lost the videotape format war to VHS which in turn lost to DVD, which today is gradually being driven out by streaming platforms.

You get the idea, but with each leap forward the recording process becomes less physical and more ephemeral and I worry that in the future fewer people will enjoy the hands-on experience of the written or printed word or photograph. Even today videos that are uploaded as “my stories” to Facebook or Instagram self-destruct after a short amount of time.

So I’ll stick to the boxes, and when I’m asked:

“Save paper, consider the environment, do you really need to print this email?”

Well yes sometimes I really do need to, after all consider what would have happened if the Rosetta Stone, the artefact which helped scholars crack the code of the ancient Egyptian writing system of hieroglyphics, had also required a missing, now obsolete, “Stone reader” from 196 B.C?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Grandparents Day and when is your Grandad not your Grandad?

World Grandparent’s Day it is a relatively recent innovation, if we compare it with the celebration of other special days, which is why few people (me included) know what its origin is or why it was established. The celebration was introduced to the UK in 1990 by the charity Age Concern. It has been celebrated on the first Sunday in October since 2008, although it has not been as successful commercially as Mother’s and Father’s Day. Very recently Pope Francis declared World Day for Grandparents and the Elderly, to take place annually on the fourth Sunday of July but here in Spain, Grandparents’ Day ( Día de los abuelos y las abuelas) is celebrated on July 26, the feast day of Saint Joachim and Saint Anne, parents of Mary, the mother of Jesus. This factoid popped up on my social media today and got me thinking about my own family history. As the child of older parents who had both been married before, three of my grandparents had passed away before I was even born, but my mother’s mothe

Balkans or Brompton?

  So here we are more than 6 months into my retirement and it turns out the answer to the title question of this blog is “not a lot to write home about really” I’ve been dabbling in watercolour painting a bit, but my retirement, for us, was always going to be about having the time to travel, to do the bucket list trips. It hasn’t turned out like that – well yet anyway. Covid restrictions haven’t helped, although we did manage a trip to the UK to see our new Granddaughter in October which was lovely. With all the bureaucracy involved I found travelling a stressful experience, but thank goodness it seems that the world (well the 1st world anyway) is now in a position where that side of things is easing a little –  just in time to start worrying about an actual war in Europe; Thanks Vladimir! Don’t get me wrong, we are lucky people, we live 365 in a place where some people pay thousands of euros to come to for a couple of weeks a year, but you do feel like you need to get off the rock som